This past weekend, a friend and I went visited Mount Nebo Cemetery near Carlton, Alabama. Never heard of Carlton? Yeah, neither had we. As a matter of fact, when we turned off of Kentucky Road, the directions from my GPS were "navigate off road". Really? Navigate off road in my little Yaris? Okay....
After driving down some random dirt roads, we came across a pretty scary black man holding a big knife. In his defense, I'm pretty sure he had been skinning a deer. I waved and asked if he knew where the "old cemetery" was..................................you have to realize that I wasn't about to yell, "Where's the Nebo cemetery?" to a black man holding a big knife. Anyway...his directions included "go on back to the road and you'll see a sign". Ugh....don't you think I would have seen a sign already.
By the way...here's the sign. It looks larger than it really is.....AND it's pointing in the wrong direction.
Needless to say, we found Mount Nebo. So what's so special about it, you ask? Have you ever heard of Isaac Nettles? Yeah, neither had I. You should "like" STRANGE ALABAMA on facebook if you like strange things. Wikipedia says that the Isaac Nettles Gravestones "feature death masks, presumed by scholars to be of the people whose graves they mark". How cool is that? I think I want a death mask for my tombstone.
![]() |
| Born in 1800...Died in 1940. Umm...okay. |
After our adventures at Mount Nebo, we headed to Monroeville, Alabama to stalk Harper Lee. I couldn't convince my friend that it would be okay to go visit Lee at her residence. Apparently that's not proper. Psht. We did, however, hang out at Truman Capote's old house! We also went to the cemetery where Harper Lee's parents, a few relatives of Capote, and Alfred Robert Boulware, Jr are all buried. Boulware, Jr is the real Boo Radley. Cool, huh?
Another highlight of the adventure involves shooting at (and missing) a deer. In my defense, we were riding on a dirt road in a car and I was holding my hand gun out the window pointing into the woods. Those damn deer piss me off. And I don't know why people spend money buying hunting equipment.....just go outside and drive on a dirt road....you'll find ten or twelve immediately.
Last but not least, if you want to know what Heaven tastes like, you should visit Weidmann's Restaurant in Meridian, Mississippi...order the Bruschetta for an appetizer and the fillet (medium rare) for you entree. Yum. I can't even talk about it...that's how good it was. Weidmann's was founded in 1870 and is one of the oldest (or maybe the oldest) restaurant in Mississippi.







No comments:
Post a Comment