Thursday, August 18, 2011

What does one do in Chicago??

A lot, actually. FYI...this is really a "memory blog" for myself, but if you're bored feel free to read :)

Last week I went to Chicago with JSS. I had A LOT of fun...and No, I'm not just saying that because JSS reads my blog. I had a good flight there (aside from having to get up at 4am), there weather was wonderful (minus Monday night at Wrigley Field), and the hotel was superb.

Here's my day by day account of my time in Chicago. It won't be terribly detailed, but I just like to write stuff down so I'll remember what I did in various cities.

Here's a helpful hint if you plan on vacationing....buy a CITYPASS!! There are several cities that offer the citypass....basically you buy a coupon book for around $75.00 / adult (kids prices are less) and said coupon book includes entrance to 5 or 6 different museums / hot spots in the city. You save at least 50% and it typically lets you in to various exhibits that you would otherwise have to pay for.

Sunday:
I took a really early flight from the airport in Montgomery. There's an airport in Montgomery, you ask? YES! There is!! It was amazingly convenient since Katie now lives in Montgomery and was able to drive me to the airport. I had a quick plane change in Charlotte, NC before arriving at O'hare in Chicago. JSS arrived about an hour after I did, but my had just retrieved my luggage from baggage claim when we met up. We headed to our hotel and checked in........got to the room which was some sort of executive suite with a LARGE bathrom. Too bad it only had one bed :( We debated about it for a minute before deciding to change rooms. Luckily our new room was just as awesome but with TWO beds.

After getting JSS checked in at her convention which was apparently a REALLY big deal, I was so hungry I could have nibbled on my own arm. We walked down to Navy Pier and made it inside right before the gates of heaven opened and the rain started to pour. After dinner we walked around Navy Pier for a while before heading back to the hotel. I was TIRED from waking up at 4am.

Monday:
While JSS was at her convention, I toured several museums including the Field Museum of Natural History and Shedd Aquarium. Afterwards I took the subway to the John Hancock Observatory and went up to the 94th floor to look out over the city. And yes, I did the audio tour ( included with citypass) :) Next I walked back to Navy Pier and rode the huge Ferris Wheel (it was closed due to rain the night before) before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the Cubs game at Wrigley Field.


JSS got back to the hotel right after I did...we got ready....waited in the lobby for our party bus....got to Wrigley field and it was raining :( The game ended up being canceled due to the rain so we went back to the hotel lobby for free drinks and dessert. I would add a picture here, but I'll just say that 5 drinks is too much for me. I slept well that night except for the crazy dream about being at Judson during WWII and having bombs dropped on us....luckily I hid in the storm shelter with Tory Goodeman. I'm pretty sure I talked in my sleep that night. Sorry, JSS.

Tuesday:
That morning I went back to Wrigley Field and had a tour. Great fun and I recommend it if you're in Chicago and a baseball fan. There's lots of history in that ballpark.



Afterwards I visited the Willis Tower Skydeck (formally the Sear's Tower) and went up to the 104th floor. This was pretty much like the John Hancock Observatory except there are glass floor balconies at the Willis Tower where you can stand and look down to the street. There were a billion people there and I only stayed a few minutes.


The Art Institute of Chicago was next and I was REALLY excited about it. There's entirely too much to look at in just a few hours, but I hit the hot spots including "Sunday Afternoon" and "American Gothic".



Check out how big this piece is:

Right outside of the Art Institute is Millennium Park which is (obviously) a big park. Inside the park there's lots of art including "Cloud Gate" which was added in 2004. It was really cool. I'm sorry "Cool" is the only word I can come up with. See for yourself:



Tuesday night JSS and I went to a fancy dinner at The Museum of Science and Industry.
We got to tour a Nazi WWII submarine and then we ate some really good food.




Wednesday:
I accidently slept a bit too late. I had to be at the airport by 12:00 noon, so I didn't really do too much. I had planned to go to the Oprah store, but google said that it had closed :( So instead I sat outside and talked to Mom Flowers on the phone for a little while before heading to the airport. I had a pretty extended layover in Charlotte, but I managed to get some reading in while waiting in the airport. Arrived back in Montgomery around 9:00 and Kaite picked me up.

Overall, a great trip. Thanks for letting me tag along, JSS. I really appreciate it.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you came! I had a good time too. I will also say thanks for not posting those pictures!

Kim said...

Glad you ladies had fun!

I always think of you when I see Sunday Afternoon!